Concerning information on the history of our Institute, the following articles may be interesting:
- Maria Remenyi: , in: Mathematische Semesterberichte Vol. 58, No. 1 (2011), p. 1-12.
- Volker Remmert: Die Deutsche Mathematiker Vereinigung im Dritten Reich: Fach- und Parteipolitik, in: DMV-Mitteilungen Vol. 12 (2004), p. 223-245.
- Allyn Jackson: , in: Notices of the AMS Vol. 47, No. 7 (2000), p. 758-765.
- Marjorie Senechal: Mathematical Communities - Oberwolfach 1949-1964, in: The Mathematical Intelligencer Vol. 20, No. 4 (1998), p. 17-24.
We plan to provide more information at this place, soon.
- September 1st, 1944: Foundation of the MFO, located in the old castle
- June 17th, 1959: Foundation of the Gesellschaft für Mathematische Forschung e.V., the mathematical society running the MFO
- October 10th, 1967: Inauguration of the guest house of the MFO, a gift of the Volkswagen-Stiftung
- June 13th, 1975: Inauguration of the library and meetings building of the MFO which replaced the old castle, also a gift of the Volkswagen-Stiftung
- May 26th, 1989: Inauguration of the extension of the guest building
- 1995: Establishment of the research programme "Research in Pairs"
- January 1st 2005: The MFO becomes a member of the Leibniz-Gemeinschaft
- 2007: Establishment of the post-doctoral programme "Oberwolfach Leibniz Fellows"
- May 5th, 2007: Inauguration of the library extension, a gift of the Klaus Tschira Stiftung and the VolkswagenStiftung
- 2005 - 2010: General restoration of the guest house and the library building
Directors of the MFO
1944 - 1958: Prof. Dr. Wilhelm Süss
1958 - 1959: Prof. Dr. Hellmuth Kneser
1959 - 1963: Prof. Dr. Theodor Schneider
1963 - 1994: Prof. Dr. Martin Barner
1994 - 2002: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Matthias Kreck
2002 - 2013: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Gert-Martin Greuel
Since 2013: Prof. Dr. Gerhard Huisken