Oberwolfach Seminar (1043b): The Willmore Functional
- October 24-30, 2010
- Ernst Kuwert, Freiburg
- Reiner Schätzle, Tübingen
- The Willmore energy of an immersed surface in Euclidean space is the integral of the squared mean curvature with respect to surface measure. The functional is of interest in differential geometry, two-dimensional elasticity and in the geometric calculus of variations. The seminar will focus on recent ideas from nonlinear partial differential equations and variational methods.
- The seminar is open to students and postdocs. As background only basic knowledge in differential geometry and partial differential equations is required.
- Specific Programme and Literature
- Detailed information can be found in this
- Deadline for applications
- September 1st, 2010
The seminars take place at the
Mathematisches Forschungsinstitut Oberwolfach.
The number of participants is restricted to 24.
The Institute covers accommodation and food.
Travel expenses cannot be reimbursed.
- full name and address, including e-mail address
- present position, university
- name of supervisor of Ph.D. thesis
- a short summary of previous work and interest
should be sent preferably by e-mail (.ps or .pdf file) to:
Prof. Dr. Gert-Martin Greuel
67663 Kaiserslautern, Germany
Mathematisches Forschungsinstitut Oberwolfach
updated: April 7th, 2010